Sunday, January 30, 2011

Changes

I realized that my last post never posted. Which is probably ok since I was kind of mad when I was typing up. And I am trying REALLY hard to be nice and not so negative;)
  So to bring you up to speed basically:
I have been having some health problems which are made worse by a lot of the stress that comes from my stepson. Which is incredibly frustraing considering he is only 7. He really likes to wear me out emotionally.
 I finally came to the realization that something has to change, and that would be me. In reading my daily text of scriptures today it talked about how Jesus never lost his Joy or his Self-control. Granted he is perfect, be still an excellent example for me to strive after.
I actually broke down and knew that something had to change between the two households, Me and my husbands and  Maeson's mother and step-father's home. We needed to have more consistancy and more communication in order to help Maeson. SO I extended the proverbial olive branch and sought out to make peace with Maeson's mother. And the most interesting thing has happened-Maeson's manipulative games have really decreased. He  no longer chatters constantly ( a need to be center of attention) I don't allow him to crawl all over me any me...physically and emotionally. We were also noticing that time-outs and taking things away from were just not cutting it anymore for discipline. My husband came up with the great idea of having him write sentences for bad behavior.Such as "I will not give dirty looks" "I will  not be disrespectful" "I will not take forever to eat my dinner". He has to write each sentence 20-30 times, and it has really worked. He was giving his mom a hard time about going to bed the other night. Pushing the limits to see just how far he can still go. My hubby talked to her and told her to have him write sentences for everthing that he was doing. " I will not scream at my mother" " I will not argue with my parents". So we will see if it continues to work;)
On a lighter note we hosted our annual family party at our home last friday night. I made a ham and my sister brought cheesy potatoes, michelle brought a salad and my mom brought rolls. It was all so good. We always exhange gifts at our family party and this year was especially fun;) I have been trying to upload some of the pictures but the computer won't let me:(
   Have a great night and a wonderful monday!

2 comments:

  1. Being a stepmom is certainly challenging! But it's so much easier when both households align and can collaborate. Keep up the great work and best of luck to you! Hope you'll visit our website for helpful tips and information to make your job a little easier!
    Warm regards,
    Brenda Ockun
    Publisher, StepMom Magazine
    http://www.StepMomMag.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Brenda! Things are SO much better since my hubby and I made the choice to just get along with the other household. Its better for all involved!

    ReplyDelete